1 in 5 men and 1 in 4 women are living with herpes. Do not despair. You are not alone. Dating with Herpes research, herpes treatments and many herpes dating services are out there to enable you to have a happy and healthy love life.
According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of Americans infected with genital herpes has increased by 30% since the late 1970’s. 80-90% of people infected with genital herpes don’t even realize they have it, either they have no symptoms or they have failed to recognize the herpes symptoms.
Herpes Treatments. There is no cure for herpes. Oral prescription antiviral medications including Acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir (Famvir) and Valacyclovir (Valtrex) can all reduce the frequency of attacks and help the sores heal sooner.
Recently the Food and Drug Administration approved Valtrex for the use in preventing genital herpes transmission. The infected person takes the drug continuously once daily to significantly decrease the risk of spread, although herpes transmission can still occur. A visit to your local medical practitioner or sexual health clinic can inform you more fully on this positive news.
Herpes Research. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), who supports research on genital herpes and HSV, studies are currently underway to develop better treatments for the millions of people who suffer from genital herpes. While some scientists are carrying out clinical trials to determine the best way to use existing medicines, others are studying the biology of HSV. NIAID scientists have identified certain genes and enzymes (proteins) that the virus needs to survive. They are hopeful that drugs aimed at disrupting these viral targets might lead to the design of more effective treatments.
Meanwhile, other researchers are devising methods to control the viruses spread. Two important means of preventing HSV infection are vaccines and topical microbicides.
Several different vaccines are in various stages of development. These include vaccines made from proteins on the HSV cell surface, peptides or chains of amino acids, and the DNA of the virus itself. NIAID and GlaxoSmithKline are supporting a large clinical trial in women of an experimental vaccine that may help prevent transmission of genital herpes. The trial is being conducted at more than 35 sites nationwide. For more information, type in Herpevac Trial for Women or type in herpesvaccine.nih.go
Topical microbicides, preparations containing microbe-killing compounds, are also in various stages of development and testing. These include gels, creams, or lotions that a woman could insert into the vagina prior to intercourse to prevent infection.
This information on herpes research was provided by the NIAID and dated October 2005.
Responsible Loving. Anyone diagnosed with genital herpes must disclose their disease with all potential partners. Even the use of a condom does not prevent the spread of disease because a condom may cover not all sores. It is possible for the virus to become active and transmitted to a sexual partner even when the skin appears completely normal.
How to protect your partner:
1: Always use a latex condom.
2: No sex while you have an outbreak or if you think you are about to have an outbreak. Wait until the sores are completely healed before resuming sexual adtivity.
3: Use Valtrex daily to minimize the risk of spreading.
Breaking the News. Honest and open communication with potential sexual partners is very important. Having to tell someone you have genital herpes can be an extremely embarrassing and worrying situation. You need to be able to talk to each other, as they too could be carrying a STD as well.
1. Know the facts. You should be positive about your disease. Your life will go on and you are hoping for support and acceptance. Tell concerned others how common herpes treatments and precaution are.
2. Choose the right time. You should let the relationship develop a little so that you will be able to be comfortable discussing the matter. Look for an opportunity for the conversation to come up. This chat should definitely happen before you become physically intimate or too hot and heavy.
3. Choose a private relaxed place for the talk to take place.
4. Some people need time to digest this sort of news. Give the other person a bit of space if they need it. They might want to do their own research or see their medical practitioner. They may also be among the other 50 million Americans who are already infected.
5. Herpes Dating Sites. Some singles with herpes find it easier to date exclusively other singles living with herpes. Certainly, the potential for embarrassment and possible rejection and guilt can be avoided in this scenario. If this sounds more like you, there are many herpes online dating link sites, herpes dating services link, herpes personals and even STD singles sites and services that you can join.
Living with herpes and dating with herpes is not the end of the world. You are among 50 million other Americans who also have the herpes infection. There is a lot happening in herpes research, herpes treatment and herpes prevention. Get yourself healthy and knowledgeable and get out there and find a partner.
If you want to see a site now that focuses on positive outcomes for people with herpes, go straight to this dedicated site. Come back to this page if you want to run through the information again.