How to Tell If You Are Being a Bore to Your Date
No matter how socially adept your date may be, you can always tell if he (or she) is starting to get bored with your company. Are you aware of the most common warning signs that indicate that your date is starting to lose interest? If not, here are some of the most common nuances that should warn you of this problem:
- Repeated obligatory responses. If your date constantly says ‘Oh really?’, ‘Wow’, and ‘That’s interesting’, there is a great chance that you are starting to bore him (or her). On the other hand, if your date can’t wait to interrupt you while you’re talking, it usually indicates that he (or she) is interested in what you are saying and would want to add something to the conversation.
- Asking simple questions. Bored people usually throw some very simple questions out of mere politeness. However, those who are far from being bored usually ask complicated questions and ask for clarifications.
- Changing topics. If you are talking about something and then your date suddenly butts in with something that is not even remotely related to what you are saying, it is a clear indication that he (or she) finds your topic a little bit boring. When this happens, don’t bring up the previous topic anymore. It is simply not worth pursuing it.
- Body position. Is your date leaning toward you or is partially turned away from you? Take note that people who are connecting with each other usually turn to face each other while talking.
How to Turn a Boring Conversation Around and Avoid Being a Bore
Now that you know how to spot the little things that may indicate that you are starting to bore your date, it is time for you to learn how you can correct your mistakes. To turn things around, here are some simple yet effective tips that you may find useful:
- Come well prepared. If you are going out on a first date, make sure you have enough first date questions and conversation starters.
- Give your date the chance to speak his (or her) mind. If you are doing most of the talking, the best thing that you can do is to let your date to chime in to the conversation. You need to realize that there are times when your date will become bored with the conversation not because he (or she) is not interested in what you are saying but because you are not giving him (or her) the chance to speak up.
- Think of topics that your date may be interested in. If you are not monopolizing the conversation, then perhaps your date is simply not interested in the topic. If this is the case, think of something that you would both be interested in. If you are at a total loss, then try asking open-ended questions to keep the conversation going.
- Recognize the difference between boredom and nervousness. It is quite easy to confuse nervousness with boredom, especially on a first date. Why don’t you try breaking the ice by telling funny stories about yourself? This may be the only thing you’ll ever need to start an interesting conversation.
You can definitely turn an otherwise boring conversation into a lively and engaging discussion. All you need to do is to follow these simple yet effective suggestions and you will surely have a more successful dating experience. I assure you – these tips really work!
I hope you find today’s post quite interesting.
Have a successful dating experience,